Monday, June 16, 2014

Istanbul.

It's been a long time since I've posted anything on this here site.  After a long (and very cold) Minnesota winter, I unearthed my passport and headed east.  This time, I landed in Istanbul.  I am very grateful to be visiting dear friends and taking in the sights of a city bridging east and west.  Here are some photos. Enjoy!

Next on the journey is Rwanda, so watch out for a post in the coming weeks documenting my visit back to a place that holds so much of my heart.

Looking up in the Blue Mosque.  The painting and tile work is incredible.

Blurred lights in the Blue Mosque.

From the ferry crossing the Bosphorous. (This is looking at the European side.)

Cisterns beneath the city of Istanbul.  This holds water that was originally brought to the city through aqueducts.  This was especially interesting after studying ancient civilizations with my 3rd grade students this past year.  I wish I could have brought them on a field trip here!

Fishing on the Bosphorous.

Jayme & I on the top of the city! 
Red roofs surround a mosque.

A beautiful city.

Looking up in the Hagia Sophia.

Incredible mosaics uncovered under layers of plaster.  The Hagia Sophia has alternated between a basilica and mosque over the centuries.  Today, it is a museum that displays evidence of the back and forth.  

Hagia Sophia. 

At a small village outside the city, we saw some polish dancers.  They wore beautiful traditional clothing.

Their dresses were incredible for spinning purposes.

Rugs stacked at the Grand Bazaar.

1 comment: